Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Smyrna




Smyrna was a place I had been wanting to see. I remember seeing its name in the Bible, so it was real cool to be in the space. We got to go underground where some of the workshops are. Not all agoras had a lower level for workshops. You can see in the 3rd picture what it looked like in there.

In the 4th picture there's a carving of a boat. Do you see it? You have to use your imagination a little bit to see it because it's not all there. The oldest that can be is from 178 AD. That's almost 2000 years old! There are some carvings that are even older, but we couldn't see them. There are people called archaeologists who are working to make sure bad things to happen to those pictures. I can't wait to see what they figure out about them - but I'm going to have to be very patient because it will take about 4 years for them to do that. It takes a very long time to protect the picture and try to figure out what it all means. How old will you be in 4 years?


The last picture is my favorite of this place. I finally got a picture with our professor. I know there was somebody else who was looking forward to seeing this picture too!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment